Wednesday 25 March 2015

An Interview with Jean Machado (LiveTheMachLife)

Hey guys, today I have for you an interview with Jean Machado. Some of you might be familiar with his YouTube channel, LiveTheMachLife. He produces a lot of great Jiu-Jitsu related comedy and parody videos. I’m a big fan of his content, so it has been great to get the chance to interview him. I hope you guys enjoy. 


So right off the bat, could you introduce yourself to my readers?

Hello everyone, my name is Jean Machado. I am son to the youngest of the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Legends, The Machado Brothers. I am a brown belt in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and enjoy making funny videos on the internet about it and other everyday things.

Could you take us through some of your earliest memories of Jiu-Jitsu?

When I was 4 years old I began participating in classes at our Jiu-Jitsu academy. I remember Jiu-Jitsu always being a fun and enjoyable experience growing up.

What is it like to be part of such an iconic family like the Machado family?

To me they are known as uncle, tio, or father. It’s pretty great that they as a family and individuals have done so much to further this art. It’s quite motivating and makes me strive to go even further.

What’s the training like at RCJ Machado?

It’s an amazing experience. It’s always felt like home.


Do you think RCJ Machado can compete with other big BJJ teams? (I.e. Gracie Barra, Atos, Alliance etc.)

Yes, RCJ Machado had the largest competition team in the 90's. I don't see why that can't happen again.

Does RCJ Machado have any up and coming competitors who you think can be a major force on the competition scene?

There are several contenders throughout the United States and abroad who a phenomenal grapplers under the RCJ banner. I myself compete.

Does your team run any training camps prior to major tournaments?

Yes, preparation is key to competing in tournaments.

What is your style of Jiu-Jitsu?

I’m not sure what kind of style it is, The Machlife style.

Source: Mike Calimbas

What is your opinion on ‘modern’ Jiu-Jitsu techniques? And do you use any of them?

They have their practicality within the limits of competition. I think they are fun to learn and play with in class but don’t see a real world application.

Do you think any of these techniques are ‘ruining’ Jiu-Jitsu?

Since competition for many is the main focus for practicing Jiu-Jitsu, that is an area which has gained lots of momentum in new ideas to better ones results in a tournament. If one only focuses on those techniques, they are limiting themselves to a set of rules, nonexistent in the streets.

Do you think drilling is an important part of Jiu-Jitsu? Or do you think it’s a waste of time?

If you don’t practice, how will you ever get better?

Tell us one thing about you game which nobody would know?

It’s fun.


If you could sum up your Jiu-Jitsu in one word, what would it be?

Unique, I try to have as much fun as I can when training, even if it's not showing.

How frequently do you train?

4-5 times a week.

Do you do any strength and conditioning? Or do you train solely Jiu-Jitsu?

One doesn't hurt the other.

What does your diet consist of? And do you take any specific supplements?

Eat mainly nutritious meals, lots of vegetables and protein yet avoiding things like breads which slow you down. I lean towards a healthy nutrition.

What were some of your earliest competitions like?

Chaotic. I remember going in to some fights, as a kid, with no idea of what to do and hopefully wing it. This made things worse and more chaotic during the fight. I look back and just laugh now thinking about it.


What is your biggest accomplishment in competition to date?

I recently won gold in Five Grappling Texas 2 which was a great experience. As for greatest accomplishment I’m uncertain. First time I competed as a Blue Belt Adult (16 yrs old) I won all three my matches against older more experienced opponents taking home the gold, which felt good.

You competed in Five Grappling Texas 2 a few months ago, how was that experience?

Great, the events was smoothly run and I felt very good. I nailed an armbar in one of my fights which felt great. I had my dad and brother coaching along with several students supporting as I took home the gold so overall an awesome experience.

(If you're viewing on a mobile device, please click HERE)


Are you going to be looking to compete in higher level competition? (I.e. Pan Ams, Mundials etc.)

Competition for me is something I do to compliment my Jiu-Jitsu. As to what venue I may be in the future is unknown now.

Would you say you’re a serious competitor? Or are you more of a casual competitor?

I enjoy competing to test myself or something I’m working. I do enjoy a challenge but I’m not seeking medals or titles to say I’m the best of this or that. I want to improve my Jiu-Jitsu as much as I can as a Martial Artist.

Are there any competitions coming up which you’re hoping to compete in?

At this moment no, if things change I will update via social media.

What is your take on submission only vs. point competitions? And which do you prefer and why?

I think both have their place and time. For a competitor it may be more convenient knowing you can score points and stall. Yet for the audience its leaves a boring fights to watch. I enjoy both styles. 


Many people probably know you from your YouTube channel, LiveTheMachLife. How did the idea come about to start this channel?

Growing up video making has always been a passion of mine. The idea came about when I decided to make a video on a particular character at our academy at the time (the late student). I needed a place to post the video so LiveTheMachLife was born. As for the name it comes out to Live The Machado Lifestyle which is a way of life myself, father and uncles grew up. I wanted to a place to be able to show people our view.

What are your long time goals for the YouTube channel?

To make more content people enjoy and grow the machlife family.

To date which is your favourite video you have produced and why?

On YouTube: Probably BJJ Cops. I always enjoyed the show so to make a parody of it was a blast.

(If you're viewing on a mobile device, please click HERE)


As of now, your most popular video is “Subtle BJJ Moves for Valentine’s Day 2014”. Why do you think this video is the most successful thus far?

I think it gives some people new ideas on what to try on their girlfriend or spouse. Honestly it’s a fun overall video people get a kick out of.

(If you're viewing on a mobile device, please click HERE)


Where does your inspiration come from to make these videos?

A lot has been from my own experiences. But some are from everyday things such as conversations had or situations seen.

Typically, how long does an average video take to produce?

Oh man. Depends on the video really. From planning, shooting, editing, to finished product I’d say 6 hours and that’s a short video for Facebook (30 sec - 1 min). If it’s a full skit probably two days (one for shooting, other for editing) or more depending on locations and the idea. I've gotten faster over the years; my first video took me 8 hours just on filming, cringe! #whitebelt

Are there any exciting things you could tell us about any upcoming videos?

BJJ in ways never expected.

Right, it’s time for twenty quick fire questions, they are:

1.     Goku or Superman? Superman, Smallville <3>
2.     Guard player or guard passer? Both
3.     Pop or rock? Rock (80's <3>
4.     Cartoons or anime? Cartoons but Death Note is so good
5.     T-shirts or sweaters? In Dallas? Both
6.     DX or NWO? Is that Wrestling?
7.     The Avengers or X-Men? Justice League anyone?
8.     Juice or milk? Juice
9.     Google or Bing? Google
10.   Spider guard or x-guard? Spider
11.   Outdoors or indoors? Outdoors
12.   Wolverine or Magneto? Wolverine
13.   Salted or sweet? If its food - salted, if a girl - sweet
14.   Sprite or 7up? Coconut Water
15.   Burgers or tacos? Tacos
16.   L.A. Beast or Furious Pete? I’ve only seen LA Beast
17.   The Whopper or The Big Mac? #cringe!
18.   Money or fame? Be the change I want to see in the world
19.   The green dragon ranger or the white tiger ranger? White Tiger baby
20.   Blink-182 or Fall Out Boy? Not sure

Hey, thanks Jean for the interview! It has been a pleasure my friend. Before we end this interview, is there anything you want to say? Or any people you want to thank?

Thanks for having me my brother, for all of you reading I say train hard and have fun!

If you like LiveTheMachLife so far, 2015 is going to rock.


Special thanks to: My father John Machado my mentor, and my uncles Rigan, Roger, Jean-Jacques and Carlos who each helped me in a certain way. And to Carlos and Helio Gracie who gave us this wonderful art.

0 comments:

Post a Comment