Saturday 4 October 2014

My Thoughts on Metamoris 5

So, today I thought I would do something a little different. I want to give you guys my thoughts on the up and coming Metamoris 5 event which is taking place on Saturday, November 22 in Southern California. According to the website, the venue is still being decided. 


Now, I'm a big fan of grappling superfights. Personally, I prefer them under IBJJF rules rather a submission only setting, but hey, that is just my opinion. I think Metamoris are doing a great job in promoting Jiu-Jitsu and trying to make it appealing to non-BJJ fans. 

As always, the matches will be 20 minutes, submission-only, and will be either Gi or NoGi matches. There are no points awarded and if there is no submission, a draw is declared. 

I'll start at the bottom of the card and work my way down from there.

Garry Tonon vs. Zak Maxwell - I think Garry Tonon's style of grappling really complements a submission only style match. Last time, you saw him submit Kit Dale with a guillotine choke very quickly in the opening match of Metamoris 4. I don't think Zak Maxwell will be much trouble for Garry and I can see this ending similarly to the match with Kit Dale. 

Vinny Magalhaes vs. Kevin Casey - Honestly, I think this was a lazy match up on Metamoris' part. I can see why they put this match together as some sort of weird trilogy between Vinny Magalhaes, Kevin Casey and Keenan Cornelius. But lets me honest here, is there really a big demand for this match? I think this match will go the distance and overall it will be quite boring to watch, maybe even the worst match of the night. 

Yuri Simoes vs. Rafael Lovato Jr. - At first, I kind of glanced over this match and didn't really give it much thought. But, looking at it now, I think it's a decent match which could potentially turn out to be one of the best on the card. They actually fought each other in the Pan Ams this year, with Yuri defeating Lovato by one advantage. However, this time there are no points and I think Lovato's style of Jiu-Jitsu complements a submission only match better than Yuri's does. Although, I think it will be close, I can see Lovato getting a submission near the final minutes of the match. 

Rory MacDonald vs. JT Torres - I'm actually a big fan of MMA vs. Jiu-Jitsu matches, and I think this on paper sounds like a good one. For those of you who don't know, Rory is actually a 'NoGi' black belt in BJJ under Chris Lea. I don't want to underestimate the grappling skills of MacDonald but I don't think they will be a match for JT Torres. I think MacDonald will not make the match easy for JT but I think towards the middle of the match, JT's grappling experience will show and he will submit MacDonald. 

Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Renzo Gracie - I hope this match lives up to the hype! Then again, it could turn about to a really boring match. But, hopefully, that will not happen. If you follow MMA, I'm sure you have heard of Sakuraba, also known as "The Gracie Hunter". He achieved that nickname my defeating four Gracie's in MMA. Those being Royler, Royce, Renzo, and Ryan. In particular, submitting Renzo by Kimura. I really want Sakuraba to win this match, but something tells me he won't. After all, this is Jiu-Jitsu and not MMA. I can see Renzo putting Sakuraba in lots of bad spots but I don't think he will submit him. In the end, I think the match will be a draw and hopefully both fighters will display some excellent Jiu-Jitsu. 

Overall, I think Metamoris 5 will be a good event but not a great one. However, I will look forward to watching it and hopefully be proven wrong in some of my predictions. Again, what I've said in this post is merely my opinion, so don't take it too seriously. Feel free to let me know your opinions.

Next week, I will give my thoughts on the superfights which are set to take place at this year's World Jiu-Jitsu Expo.

Catch you later, 

Giordano 

0 comments:

Post a Comment